Questions to Ask While Looking at a Senior Living Community
Choosing a senior living community can be like choosing a college, just a little more long-term. You need to find a community you feel comfortable in, one that has all the amenities you require, and that fits your budget. This process can be emotional, frustrating, and overwhelming at times but Senior Living Experience is here to assist you every step of the way.
Let’s address some questions you should be asking while you search for your new home. Going through this list will help you make a more informed decision and help you stay on track.
- What are the accommodations like? This is a huge question because this is where you’ll be spending your latter years and you want to make sure you’re comfortable. Are you going to get the privacy you desire? What personal belongings are you able to bring? If you need medical assistance do they offer those services? Each community is different and offers different levels of care.
- What type of activities are available? A lot of times why seniors finally decide to downsize and transition into a senior living community is because they feel isolated in their own home. The level of socialization and types of activities offered can be a very important aspect.
- What are they doing to keep you safe? Your safety should be their main concern and it’s not a bad question to ask. If something were to happen are there alert buttons available? What about safety equipment in the washrooms? Is there an emergency response plan? Do they have a backup generator in case the power was to go out? These are very important questions that need to be asked.
- What about references? Talking to other residents or family members of former residents can be very helpful and insightful. It offers you a more rounded picture of what the community is really like.
- Is transportation available? Maybe you no longer drive and the kids are busy with their own lives but you still need to get to your appointments or want to explore the world outside of the community. Having a transportation service might be important to you. If so, then this is a question you need to pose because every community is different.
- What about the staff? In a senior living community, the quality of the staff is key. They can make or break your experience. Do they offer medical providers? What are the staff’s qualifications? Is the staff friendly and helpful? What type and how much training has the staff had? This is about your wellbeing, you need to feel safe and that you will be well taken care of.
- What is the food like? Seniors have taken more of an interest in their health and wellbeing than ever before. They are more health-conscious and want to eat healthy nutritious meals. This is a great question especially if you’re looking at a community where your meals are being prepared for you.
- What is the continuum of medical care? When you transition you most likely already need some form of continuous medical care or will down the road, finding out the level of medical assistance that your community offers is imperative. Again, each community is different so asking these types of questions up front can help you choose the one that best suits you and your needs.
- What’s the cost? This is a huge one. You need to sit down and realistically figure out what your budget is and how much you can afford monthly. You don’t want to realize a few months to a year in that you can no longer afford your living space and have to move all over again.
- How does the community communicate with families and residents? We know that things can change instantly so it’s always good to know how those changes will be communicated to both you and your family members.
Transitioning into senior living is never easy but remember Senior Living Experience is your all-in-one concierge service that is here to assist you every step of the way. We will help come up with a plan of action for your transition, help you find the perfect senior living community, and even assist with the move itself.